Survivors of historic abuse in Islington’s children’s homes can now apply for £10k support payment

Islington Town Hall. Photograph: Islington Citizen

Islington Council has opened applications for a support payment scheme for those who have been affected by abuse.

The scheme is being offered to those who suffered the abuse while placed in Islington Council’s children’s homes between 1966 and 1995, and offers payments of £10,000 while making the application process as simple as possible for those affected.

It comes as part of the council’s broader efforts to better support survivors of this abuse, including trauma support, help with accessing care records, and housing and welfare advice.

Council leader Kaya Comer-Schwartz said: “We’re deeply sorry for the council’s past failure to protect vulnerable children in its children’s homes, which was the worst chapter in this council’s history.

“The council already offers a wide range of help to those affected by abuse, including trauma support, assistance with accessing records and advice on work, education, housing and welfare. I am glad we can now offer this support payment also.

“Islington Council today is a very different organisation from in the past, and protecting children from harm is our top priority.”

Comer-Schwartz also mentioned that much of the support now in place has been shaped by previous victims and the community groups who support them.

The application process has been designed to avoid re-awakening past traumas victims may have suffered, with trained case advisors on hand to answer questions and offer both practical and emotional support.

The Town Hall stressed that the payment is independent of compensation a victim may be receiving, including civil compensation claims – although a payment under this scheme would be offset against a later civil claim payment, and a previous civil compensation claim payment would be offset by a scheme payment.

Those looking to make an application or who have questions about the scheme can call 020 7527 3254 or email